Home > Computer/ Tech Related, Rants > Roxio Sucks

Roxio Sucks

July 29th, 2004 11:03pm Leave a comment

Ok so Roxio sucks because they make crappy software that’s not compatable with Microsoft updates, causing me hours of computer problems, headaches and annoyances.

So early this morning I went to turn on my computer and it got to the Windows XP thing but that green bar just stopped dead every time. So I waited 3 minutes and restarted. Of course it informed me that XP didn’t load properly (no shit!) and offered the option to boot into safe mode. I tried to start it normally again ad it did. Okay. At the time I had no idea it was Roxio, but it wasn’t working right for me (cds were corrupt) so I decided to uninstall it and reinstall it. After I uninstalled it, my computer was fine. Then, I installed it again and the computer wouldn’t start anymore. I didn’t suspect Roxio at this point. Anyway there were better things to do than sit in front of a computer all day, so I left and came back later that afternoon.

Again, the darn thing wouldn’t boot and I decided to start it in safe mode, then did a system restore and after a few tries, it started again. I then attempted to reinstall Roxio (like an ass.) That screwed up the booting again and it wouldn’t start. I did 2 system restores and nothing happened – still wouldn’t start. Anyway, by now I knew that it was Roxio causing this problem, so I attmpted to uninstall it in safe mode, but that didn’t work because safe mode is devoid of drivers. After one more restore, I finally got it working (good thing!) Next, I immediately uninstalled Roxio Easy CD creator 5 Platinum and took the install disc and threw it out. No loss. It’s old anyway. I probably would have formatted the harddrive if I had good backups but they were scattered and I didn’t want to start over new. Godd thing It’s okay.

So what caused this problem? A few days before that, I upgraded to DirectX 9.0 (Microsoft video crap) and Roxio probably didn’t like that. So Roxio was slowly causing trouble by burning bad cds, then completely screwed up the Windows boot sectors on my harddrive. Damn, if software was made correctly, it should be forward compatable. Oh well, now I have Nero and it requires DirectX 9.

Sorry to bore you people. I’m sure no one cares about my computer crap story.

Categories: Computer/ Tech Related, Rants Tags:
  1. wilbs999
    May 8th, 2006 at 20:52 | #1

Hey, Roxio does suck. I am so ready to throw it out the window. I tried their stupid comments about video/audio sync, and guess what? Nothing. My daughter is singing by the campfire, about 4 words behind the video.

I took the video with my Sony DVD Mini Cam, and if you play the DVD directly to the TV, it works fine. Try to bring it in to combine it with the other videos we took in NH, and I get crap.

Ain’t my computer, because I have 1.9 GIG of RAM, and 2.53 GHZ processor.

Tried to get into their help function/support. I did register, and I have a username, and a password, but they don’t recognize it.

Left a really bad review on one of the sites who sells it. Hopefully somebody will notice.

WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!

2. orangeusa
    October 23rd, 2006 at 11:45 | #2

I got a hit on “Roxio sucks”, and had to see what was here !!! This’ll probably be my last post, but wanted to throw in my 2 cents…

Anyway, there is a known bug in Roxio 5.0 that messes up Windows ability to see the CD/DVD drives. I used to know the registry setting to fix it, but don’t have it nearby.

By the way, I have had nothing but problems with Roxio, and have purchased version 4,5,6,7. I bought Version 7 and then 4 months later, they tell me they don’t support it anymore.

Don’t buy Roxio – it’s just JUNK. I’ve had no support from them. Check out Amazon.com’s reviews of their garbage.

Bye,

3. January 12th, 2009 at 04:45 | #3

I stupidly installed Roxio and now my their installer and other things have messed up my computer. I hate this, what a huge waste of time. And hey good luck trying to get rid of it on your computer, the files are everywhere.

4. Kevin
    December 1st, 2009 at 15:56 | #4

Stay away from this trash. It is bad enough that the product sucks but just try talking to their Tech Support. They are neither technical or supportive. I had to ask the same question 5 times before I got a semi-answer. Never got the answer to my question but did learn they had a compatibility problem with Memorex DL DVDs.

5. sal
    February 25th, 2010 at 14:14 | #5

I bought roxio toast titanium 7, 3 years ago, suddenly, after all the highly paid for and nothing paid for apps on my G5, toast decides to freeze my whole system, I paid good bucks for this shit, and the back-up treated me like I was the robot that it is.
    I now use burnXfree, it works. I have a workin band in London, and all around the world I really need to send CD’s to programmers and remixers. As kevin before me says..STAY AWAY

6. March 10th, 2010 at 06:03 | #6

Damn, that’s crazy…

7. Summer
    April 2nd, 2010 at 11:02 | #7

Well right now I’m Uninstalling Roxio, while I’m doing that its trying to install itself again. I’m about to kill somebody this is so annoying

8. May 15th, 2010 at 05:01 | #8

easy media creator suite 10, a great soft ware for a wile, it eft up my computer to reinstall what a joke, support what a joke, i am going to try cyberlink dvd video software to replace roxio but sonic my dvd creator v7 is good stuff, but lacks options, roxio,there software interlinks with any of there other software so if you have a problem with one you have a problem with them all and that is strait up bullshit! it is not a stand alone install which is total bullshitthere system sucks period. Why they did that, I do not know and told them so on the phone. Do not buy roxio buy something else, so that your software is stand alone for any upgrades. [email protected]

9. May 20th, 2010 at 19:35 | #9

Hey all. I tried out Roxio 2010. It worked fine untill I installed SQL Server 2008. I believe RoxioDB.dll service uses SQL Server 2005. The connection strings for 2005 are completly diffeent then 2008 (technical mumbo jumbo).

So the problem with Roxio is that they don’t allow you to correct the connection problem through the registry since they don’t have an entry.

I’m trying Nero now. I honestly love their software. They create the VOB files on the fly. They don’t burn the disc as it encode video (what I did like about Roxio), but then again, The video is in sync with the audio.

For the short story, If you install Roxio, ensure it is the first software you install on your computer. Then upgrade from there. Kinda counterintuitive since you’d think it can be installed at any time (like most software).

10. Scotty
    July 25th, 2011 at 10:45 | #10

I have Roxio 10.3 and have upgraded from a previous version due to multiple issues the product. Technical support for the product is nonexistent. They just tell you to upgrade to the newest version. I am tired of paying to upgrade in order to correct major software problems with the product. I have come to the conclusion the Roxio overall stinks. I very much recommend staying away from any Roxio product. It’s just not worth anything.

11. Rebba
    March 6th, 2012 at 21:32 | #11

Roxio is plainly deceptive in their advertising and their software is not user friendly. So unless you want to spend hours and hours wasting your time trying to resolve a problem through customer support (which is pointless by the way) then I would suggest another program. I wish I would have googled “roxio sucks” and read reviews prior to my purchase. Oh well, “another one bites the dust” as Roxio gets richer while I am left frustrated and with crapy software!

You must be logged in to post a comment.